Kilkenny CollegePast Pupils Association
Welcome to the Past Pupils Association website.
The origins of Kilkenny College stem from a college of vicars’ choral established at St. Canice’s Cathedral in the thirteenth century and in 1538 Piers Butler, Earl of Ormonde and his wife, Margaret, founded a school to the west of the Cathedral, where the library now stands.
Thus, when James, first Duke of Ormonde, established Kilkenny College in John Street, c.1666, he was following the Butler tradition of promoting education in the city. It soon became a famous school and in the 1780s, a new College was built on the same site overlooking the river Nore.